Monday, May 3, 2010

Mexican Doorway



          At Edwina's studio, I worked on Mexican Doorway (above).  I am pleased with the result.  There is mystery conveyed in the subject.  Even though no physical activity is represented in the painting, the open door with light gleaming through gives the impression of activity beyond what is depicted on the canvas.  I stylized the doorway to provide more life and I like the overall effect.
          When I first began painting this piece, I attacked it alla prima.  Edwina admonished me that this method might make my painting muddy, and she recommended that I work in layers.  Although all the previous paintings I had accomplished up to this point with a palette knife were completed alla prima, I decided to heed her suggestion.  Since I am please with the outcome, I am glad I did!  What I thought would take only a class or two to accomplish was actually not completed for a couple of months due to the various layers I had to build up.  The drawing was simple, but each layer proved time consuming.  I learned patience through this technique.

For this painting I worked from a photograph, which I found in a stock photo book Edwina has in her studio:

Photograph


In a previous post I explained issues I have with working from a photograph.  (See Kaela's Commission)

1 comment:

  1. Dig it! The photograph seriously challenges the photo for originality. No wonder you had to go with a stylized version. Love the perspective…again.

    ReplyDelete