Friday, November 12, 2010

Magistra Lanzi

First oil portrait:

I love working on faces, but had never tried an actual portrait of a person (at least spent some time trying to capture the person with any real accuracy).  My former student, colleague, friend was kind enough to sit for me back in August at Edwina's studio. I didn't achieve much that first day, so I took a few pictures of my model.  Since my photography skills are lacking, the photo image of Alexis was in a different position than the painted image.  I had to rework the painting entirely to get the image of her correct from the photograph.  I worked on this portrait for a long, long time, and Edwina's advice was extremely helpful, especially for the background and hair.

I may need to experiment with some alternatives for flesh tone, as Alexis came out a little red in hue.  I used rose madder too much, I think.

1 comment: