Thursday, March 24, 2011

Portrait Class: Week 9

For this class, John had us practice 2 minute "gesture drawings with a purpose" for a half hour and then a half hour pose where we searched for the planes of the figure.  Afterward, students had an hour and a half to paint.  On an 18X20 wood panel that I had previously sized with rabbit glue and oil primer, I painted the above.  I thought the oil ground was more stable than the acrylic gesso, and I will prepare some more panels in this manner.  The buttery texture of the oil primer was more advantageous as opposed to the slipperiness of the gesso.  The paint stayed in place and resisted being absorbed.  

I liked the composition I chose, but Adele suggested I add a painting/frame behind the model to allow the model's head to push forward.  This helped, but I think that if I had more time I would darken the area surrounding her head in order to achieve more of a contrast.

Furthermore, my portions are continuing to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment