Wednesday, July 25, 2012

2 out of 4 Weeks at QAA


I am currently working on a 4 week pose at QAA.  Although I  have a mere 12 hours to work on this figure, I decided to paint adhering to what I learned in Garrett's class at ARA.  In Garrett's workshop, I had 32 hours with the model, but I hope that by continually approaching a subject using the ARA procedure, I will improve my own technique.  By the way, full time students in the ARA program have 90 hours for one pose!!!!!

In order to work on most of the steps I learned in Garrett's class, I will proceed as follows:

Week One:  Drawing
Week Two: Dry Brush
Week Three: Dead Color
Week Four: First Painting

I omitted a value study only on account of the limited time I have with the model.

Weeks One - Three are complete.  I am posting only the first 2 weeks, because I am still working on the dead color.  The coordinator of the group took photos of the model, so I may want to continue to dead color.  I doubt, though, that I will be able to paint much, since I can't really determine temperature in the photograph.  The figure is much too flat and the skin has an orange glow, which it does not in person.

Week One:

Week Two:

I am actually rather satisfied with what I have accomplished.  During the first week, I achieved a likeness, and the dry brush during the second helped with dimension.  I worked faster than normal, and I did not have the assistance of a teacher.

2 comments: