Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Colleen Barry Workshop

Good painting is the kind that looks like sculpture.
Michelangelo


I completed the second week of Colleen Barry's Figure Painting Workshop at ARA.  Even though I was disappointed in my own work, the workshop itself was phenomenal.

Initially I had been enrolled in Emmy's figure drawing workshop.  I had signed up for drawing the figure, since I remain at the drawing stage in my artistic development.  Unfortunately, this workshop was cancelled, so I enrolled in Colleen's painting one.  It was definitely worth it.

Colleen stressed developing form and compression of values.  The result will be a painting that has a realistic feel, while not being "photo-realistic", a style that is not desirable to me.




During the final day, I became more accustomed to painting using Colleen's method.  Since I had wasted an exorbitant amount of time on the model's face, I didn't work on the figure as much as I now believe I should have.  In retrospect, I wish I had moved to the figure sooner, and perhaps I would have gained more comfort.  

I know that if I am able to practice Colleen's method, I will achieve good results.  I do want to say that attempting to achieve the rounded forms of the figure with oil paints was an arduous challenge.  I dare to express: even more laborious than reading Vergil for the first time!  Yet, it was definitely as stimulating, satisfactory, and pleasurable.  

If only I had more time to paint the figure!


Some points for me to remember:
1.  Gradation of values
2.  Compression of values
3.  Soft vs hard edges
4.  Turning the form
5.  Light points-where does the eye want to go?
6.  Where does the light hit?
7.  Warm shadows, cool highlights
8.  Cool coming out of shadow
9.  Push back form with higher values

No comments:

Post a Comment