Thursday, April 1, 2010

First Figure Painting: A Focus on Values

          From this point on my painting class will have a model.  Although I have now drawn from the model numerously and relatively consistently since last summer (a life drawing course last summer and Quincy Art Association on Tuesday nights), I still had some reservations about painting it.  I expressed my concern to my instructor as well as to my extremely talented artist friend, Molly, who attends figure drawing with me at QAA.  My instructor told me to focus in on only a small section of the figure and limit my palette to yellow ochre, venetian red, ultramarine, and perhaps a little white.  Molly said that I might try just painting the values with Payne's Grey and white.  She and I painted last night at QAA. This is my result, using Molly's technique:


           Molly indicated that attempting to find value on a figure as well as being concerned with color can be overwhelming, daunting, and laborious.  She said that determining values first and then adding color later is a great method for beginners.  Molly likened painting the figure to being left in a trackless forest, no path in sight.  Limiting the palette to Payne's Grey and white would clear away the trees and lead me out of the forest.  She was correct!  I enjoyed this exercise and tonight I will do the same during my class.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. The greys are incredibly deep and the texture looks actually alive.

    ReplyDelete