Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Annual Reflections

No human masterpiece has ever been created without great labor. -Andre Gide

It has been a little over a year since I began this blog, and I think now would be a good time to reflect on my progress.  First, I want to say that painting is hard.  I suppose I never thought it would be easy. Even though I usually welcome a challenge, I had no idea of the extent of knowledge one must obtain in order to become a skilled painter.  That is, a true painter, not one who just paints pretty pictures.

First, one needs to learn to draw.  Drawing is a skill and it can be acquired through concentrated effort. Van Gogh spent two years drawing before he picked up a paint brush to become a painter. Secondly, one needs to determine the most agreeable paint medium: oils, acrylics, gauche, watercolors, or whatever else is currently available. Then, there is a whole body of knowledge about the brand of paint, the chemistry behind paints, which colors are fugitive, which are transparent, etc....  After that, a student of painting must study supports.  Which is better, a panel or canvas?  Is linen finer to work on than cotton?  Which is more archival?  How about non traditional supports like slate or cardboard?  Which ground should be put on the canvas or panel, oil or acrylic, and why?  If the artist is priming the support herself, don't forget to size it first!  Should the ground be toned, and what tone should one choose since different ones yield different effects on the end result? Brushes?  Hog hair, synthetic, or squirrel? Rounds, filberts, flats, or brights? If one chooses to paint in oil, which medium assists the artist in achieving the desired outcome? Some media yellow with age, some crack, so a painter must learn how to avoid such atrocities.  No matter which medium a painter decides upon, one must never forget to paint fat over lean, unless, of course, one is painting alla prima!  Lighting?  Warm or cool?  Indirect or direct? Realistic, abstract, or expressive?  And what about composition?  And so I could go on!

I have acquired much knowledge over the last year about what I need to learn.  In fact, I feel I have spent more time reading than painting, but now at least I know what I need to investigate more thoroughly.   What I can say for certain is I actually prefer some materials over others: oil paints, linen or panel supports, and oil ground, if available.  I am, though, far from being a master of materials.  I am still experimenting with brushes and media.

What is extremely frustrating is that I never seem to finish anything, but this is not unusual for an art student.  A model is available for a few hours, and then the pose is gone.  Sometimes taking a photograph is allowed, but I don't like to paint from a photograph, since the image is flattened.  I think finishing a painting will be my next goal.

My technical skill has indeed developed, but not as much as I would have liked.  I often achieve a likeness of the model. Yet, I am still uncomfortable with the paint.  Color mixing is an art in and of itself.  Much more practice is necessary.

What troubles me most about this "hobby" is when a person regards painting as relaxing.  It is not.  I know of no serious painter who would think so.  It can be agony, frustrating, tedious.   The process of painting is simply problem solving with paint.  Yet, the end result relieves discontent if success is achieved.  Figuring out the problems, struggling to overcome impediments lead to some sort of euphoria.  This is what is addicting.  This is why I continue on this quest to become competent in this craft.

Overall, improvement? Yes!  proficiency? Not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment