Wednesday, March 10, 2010

First Muse: Louie

My first Muse was my smelly, drooly, sloppy, wrinkly bulldog, Louie. After high school, I accomplished very little creatively. I would draw a little, but rarely painted. After falling in love with Louie, I was inspired to paint again. In high school I primarily experimented with watercolors. At this time, at least 10 years after high school, I wanted to try something different-oils.
Unfortunately, I knew almost nothing about oils. My mother, having graduated from Vespa George, provided me with some pointers, but I still endeavored on this portrait you see here mostly blind. I understood nothing about mixing colors, technique, the troubles of using red, or the texture and consistency of oils.
Yet, there are some aspects about the finished product I like. First, I think I captured Lou's willful personality. He looks stubborn and angry, and he usually was. His coloring is good, and his eyes have some expression. I was also able to find some depth (though not much), and the painting itself has texture. This texture I have been having difficulty reproducing recently.
Obviously, there are some problems with this painting. The red hat, though I like the color, looks flat. The overall composition is horrendous. If I were to paint Louie again, I would not attempt to incorporate his entire rolly figure onto the canvas. The pillow on which he sits was executed well on the right but on the left it is choppy.
I had indicated previously that this oil was composed at least 10 years subsequent to high school. I actually do not know the exact year, but it was at least 6 years ago, but no more than 9. With the exception of one small catastrophe, I put the paint brushes down again for another 5 years give or take a year.


No comments:

Post a Comment