Thursday, July 8, 2010

Summer Work: Week 2, Thursday: Wax, Not So Much

            Today I struggled with a wax medium during a 3 hour pose at Quincy Art Association:


           I like the composition and I created some depth, but I battled with the wax medium.  It began to dry up quickly, and I felt as though I was pushing dried candle wax around.  I guess that is the idea.  For some reason this didn't happen when I was in my basement working on the shoes (Summer Work: Week 2, Monday and Tuesday: Louboutin).  Perhaps this was a result of the climate in the classroom-fans and air conditioners, though the room never dropped below 82. The palette knife kept creating crevices in the paint, which resembled dings in a car.  Sometimes I felt as though I was taking off more paint than I was adding.  I still really enjoy using a wax medium, but I have to experiment with it more.

           I used a limited palette (venetian red, ultramarine, titanium, and yellow ochre).  I worked on wood panel tinted with an ivory black wash.

2 comments:

  1. The depth is certainly there. I really like the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, but she looks like a corpse!! I also screwed up on her right shoulder. Spoke with Giovanni about the color issue and he indicated that terra verte would be better to use than ultramarine. Will try it next time.

    ReplyDelete